Celebrities down to half their size, ‘exclusive internet only’ tricks to lose four kilos in 1 week… do you feel overwhelmed, judged and self-critical? Rather than thinking about being skinny, think about being healthy and weight loss will come naturally. Besides wanting to look good, a healthy weight is important for your general health and well-being.
Overfed and undernourished
It’s the greatest paradox – we are, as a population, overweight, yet do not get the nutrients we need from our diets. Approximately 60% of adult Australians are classed as overweight or obese. Obesity increases the risk factors for numerous diseases such as heart disease, diabetes and some cancers. Processed food is one of many contributing factors to weight gain. It is generally high in fat and sugar and low in nutrients compared to whole foods (low nutrient value foods contribute to the diseases related to weight gain and fatigue). Most of us don’t feel like slipping into a bikini straight after a winter of comfort foods, but this summer, instead of looking for a quick fix to lose the extra pounds, nourish your body with superfoods. They can help you reach and maintain a healthy weight, manage your appetite and cravings, and are packed full of nutrients – you get the added bonus of looking after your health and feeling great too. Try these 3 Superfoods to help you achieve weight loss the healthy, sustainable way.
1. Wholefood Smoothie Superfood shake
One reason people fail to stick to their diet and exercise plan is lack of time. No time to exercise, no time to prepare healthy meals. Quality and nutritionally balanced smoothies such as Radiance WholeFood Smoothie can really help if you’re short on time. It’s easy to mix, tastes great and is full of nutrients; it’s a complete meal for when you are on the run.
When mixed with soy milk Radiance® Superfoods Wholefood Shake has:
– low calories, high protein content
– nutrients included for sustained energy and balancing blood sugars to reduce snacking
– high fibre which helps you feel full longer and it’s great for digestive tract health
Plus it’s filled with lots of superfoods like a berry fruit blend – containing acai, goji and blueberry that are high in antioxidants called polyphenols. These polyphenols have been shown to support healthy weight management
2. Full on fibre – Chia seeds
Don’t underestimate these tiny Chia Seeds. Packed with fibre these seeds satisfy your hunger by creating a sensation of fullness. They are also made up of 20% protein which also helps you stay fuller for longer and balance sugar levels so you are less likely to reach for sugary snacks. Due to their mild flavour, Chia seeds can be added to virtually any meals 5
MORE Lifestyle choices that might be weighing you down
The above superfoods can help with weight management, but you also need to focus on living a healthy lifestyle. Try to incorporate the following into your daily routine to form good habits and make a healthy weight more achievable.
1. Stating the obvious – Cutting out the obvious weight gainers like alcohol, fried, processed foods and sugary drinks is a good start. Excess alcohol is often high in sugar so not only packs on the kilos it also slows down your metabolism.
2. Energy and motivation – set short term goals. As you lose weight, eat better foods and increase your exercise: your energy will increase naturally. Also exercise influences the release of endorphins, feel good hormones, perfect for increasing motivation.
3. No time – it’s all about planning. Plan your week’s menu and exercise routine in advance. Keep your routine simple, fill your cupboards with the right foods at the beginning of the week and you will have no excuse snacking on unhealthy food.
4. Too expensive – Yes a pack of almonds or a bag of healthy groceries might cost more than a fast food meal but the long term cost of health care due to inadequate nutrient intake far outweighs the long term cost of ill health.
5. Outsmart your hunger – before reaching for the snack have a big glass of water, try going for a walk or doing some house work to distract you.